Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Thoughts of Spring

The Rumor of Spring

In solemn silence stand the trees
As bare of leaves, freely flows the chilled breeze.
Yet quieter still than even these,
Is the softest breathed whisper
Of the rumor of spring.

My heart, I feel would broken be
Had I not this bliss just seen
For old man Winter, though snow he brings,
Tires me ever of all cold things.
Oh for the rumor of spring!

The whisper starts within the bark
Of a great and wizened oak
As waking he remembers of those
Words that long ago were spoke.

He bends to tell the sprightly birch
She blushes a powdery green
Yet in her heart she starts to search
Her sap stirs in her veins
She smiles with the rumor of spring.

She dances o'er to tell the vines
Of with'r'd brown raspberries.
They throw open their leaves in stark surprise
And race to tell the cherries.
Not far away, a robin hears
And bursts out with his song
He's waited patiently to see
The green of leaves, it won't be long!

His friends join in with raptured chorus
Flying high to spread before us
The joy of the rumor of spring.

Ferns begin to yawn and stretch,
Unrolling their tongues, en mass
They hear the birds and know
That it is time to tell the grass.

A green fire now spreads afar
Lighting all the hills and knolls
Floods of joy, the brook now flows
Letting go its waves like scrolls
From the first thirst-quenching rain of spring.

Spring has sprung, it's clearly seen
Enchanted is my soul
Look around and see the green
The story now is told

Our Creator sang the song
Unto the wizened oak
He showed the birch where to search.
He woke the ferns and brook
He taught the robins how to sing
He painted the grass a bright, fair green
His wisdom is seen in everything
Thank God for the beauty of spring.


I wrote this poem a couple years ago, and thought I would post it today because it seemed to fit - my brother and I got to go to our creek for a while this morning, and the weather feels perfectly delicious! I hope it is very soon here to stay- I am done with cold! : )
(I know my poetic rhythm isn't always consistent, and obviously spring does not follow this order exactly, but I hope you enjoy it anyway. ) :)

7 comments:

Mazzou said...

What a sweet poem! I too, am so happy about spring! We are gardening again, and taking in as much sunshine as possible!
By the way...I wish we had a creek to visit...there is something so essential about a creek!

*Lizzie* said...

Lovely poem!!! And the picture of the flower is very pretty too!

Kerry said...

Dear Beth!

I love this poem, the spirit of it reminds me of C.S. Lewis and when Aslan created Narnia. Or, when winter is finally over when the White Witch is over-thrown.

Thanks for sharing!

<3
-K

Rebecca-Joy said...

Lovely picture!
Love your blog! i am glad I found it.
In Christ,
Rebecca

Beth said...

Thanks, Rebecca! Glad you found me! I'm graduating this Saturday, so I plan on blogging a lot more this summer- hopefully I can talk to you some more! :) God Bless!
-Bethany

Mazzou said...

Dear Bethany,
I wanted to wish you CONGRATULATIONS on Graduating!!!
Wasn't it fun on Saturday? I am SO glad to have graduated with you.
Your photos on your table were beautiful! (Sorry I didn't get to talk in person. We were each a little busy!)

Mazzou said...

Bethany....I forgot to say: Your piano playing was BEAUTIFUL at Graduation! I enjoyed it very much. It sounds like a fun piece to play, and it was impressive!
Have a great week as a graduate. :)